Advertising

The Sound of Garuda: Mixed By Gareth Emery

Sean Tyas Interview

A man that has been one of EDM’s brightest shining laser lights, within the last decade, staying true to the sound that made Dance floors across the globe fall in love with him, while being brave enough to venture outside of the box as of late, one of my own personal heroes and an incredible inspiration to producers the world over, is the incredible SEAN TYAS.

Q1. Sean Tyas is a name that has become synonymous with Peak-hour, Main floor EDM, thanks to some of the most infamous productions to ever grace the ears of an incredibly critical yet appreciative EDM world, tell us more about how EDM crossed your path and became such a major part of your life?

A1: I guess around 1990, I got a little mixtape off my uncle of various mixes of Apotheosis – O’Fortuna. This was probably the first time I had been exposed to proper club “underground” four to the floor. I was just addicted since then and the rest of course, is history.

Q2.I read quite recently that your first experience with production came through Dos Based software called “Impulse Tracker”, now believe it or not… I myself got into production in exactly the same way, having copied a pirated version of “Scream Tracker” from an older friend, and eventually moving on to the hugely similar “Impulse Tracker”, you’re currently quite a famous “LOGIC” supporter, how much would you say your production and writing process has evolved from those early days?

A2: Jeez, with impulse tracker you wrote music from the top DOWN, and not left to right like we do now. And when you keyed in values, that was all done in hexadecimal, ha! Ok so programming a snare roll had to be typed as far as volume went, so the first hit was 01, 02, but after 09, u have 0A, then 0B, until 0F. It was weird! Plus everything was based solely on samples in tracker programs back then. No synths.

Q3.Being a great follower of your work, and having recently had the immense honour of catching your live set at Club Truth in Johannesburg, South Africa, a few things have become quite apparent… While still being one of Trance’s greatest champions, you can in no way be purely boxed in such a way. Having introduced a fair amount of electro influence in both your sets and latest productions… What are your feelings as far as genres, cliques and pigeon-holing in the industry are concerned?

A3: I used to be such a champion of pigeon holing. I used to say, yep trance is all I’ll ever do blaaa blaaaa. Well, I have to step back and say how absolutely ignorant that was and is. I am so happy I started to open my mind. The amount of new sounds I have heard and have learned to make has led me to really enjoy making music every goddamn second again. The cross pollination of genres is healthy. The haters can hate all they want, they just need to get laid. There I said it J During this expansion of my sound range, however, I have met and communicated with some amazing new people and look forward to meeting even more over the course of the future.

Q4.I remember a while back walking into a CD store and picking up a copy of DJ Tatana’s “A Tribute To Trance”, only to open the booklet and realize that production on quite a number of tracks had been done by “Sean Tyas”. How did this come about and what else have you secretly done without taking credit for A.K.A behind the scenes?

A4: I think my engineering days are done for now, as I’m really just concentrating mostly on original material and exploring what I can do, what I enjoy, and what makes me happy at the end of the day in the studio. I think on discogs most of my engineering work should be listed. It was fun and good experience for a while, but now I want to concentrate on my own stuff.

Q5: While EDM and specifically House music has its origins in the USA, there is no doubt that for a very long time Europe was leading the way as far as Electronic music, especially Trance is concerned, aside from exceptions like BT and Christopher Lawrence. But in recent years, a host of US DJ’s, including yourself have come to light, proving to be a force to be reckoned with in the “Trance” world… What would you attribute this to, being from the US and currently living in Europe yourself?

A5 : It’s weird that the world assumes people need to be fom a certain part of the world to make a certain type of music or play a sport (or be a certain race even at times). Well, look at it this way, when Tiger Woods is the best golf pro and Eminem is the best rapper, I think the dance scene is allowed to have some quality trance names ;)

Q6. Any Sean Tyas fan, knows that a great deal of inspiration comes from your beautiful wife and daughter, having released tracks specifically dedicated to them… and with good reason. What else inspires Sean Tyas, though?

A6: Good new sounds and beautiful melodies, as always. Or crazy set of percussions mayhaps. Yes, I said mayhaps.

Q7: There’s no doubt that Producers and DJ’s around the world look up to you… Are there any artists you specifically look up to yourself?

A7: Prydz, Far Too Loud, Knife Party, Paul van Dyk, Moby, The Prodigy

Q8: You’ve produced enough singles to fit on quite a few Albums, and collaborated with some of the world’s biggest DJ’s, what are the chances of seeing a Sean Tyas artist album any time soon, and are there any specific artists you would love to work with in future?

A8: We’ll see, I think making an album in these days where CDs are BARELY even manufactured anymore. I just don’t see the point to release 12 tracks all on the same day. Not only that, to save up all these tracks from the day 1 of starting the work (usually artists take 12-18 months of work) and release them so much time after he/she finished them. I know most producers move quick with their technique and style and the oldest tracks may not always represent them correctly.

Q9: One of your biggest tracks entitled “Solo” samples a very famous Guns & Roses riff… Which leads me to believe that there’s much more to Sean Tyas’ taste than we might imagine… what’s playing on your IPOD/Mp3 Player/Car Radio right now?

A9: Solo has that riff re-created not sampled, had to clarify that point ;) And in my car stereo usually whatever my wife wants to put into the CD Changer! ;) As for my iPhone/iPad, no music at all! Just games!

Q10: What can we expect from Sean Tyas in the near and distant future?

 A10: Tytanium relaunches very soon, a lot more singles which im quite excited about covering a lot of ground, including of course, high energy trance music.

FOR MORE INFO ON SEAN TYAS CHECKOUT THE FOLLOWING LINKS


ESSENTIAL SEAN TYAS WEB LINKS
www.seantyasmusic.com
www.facebook.com/seantyasmusic
www.integrityam.com

OPTIONAL SEAN TYAS WEB LINKS
http://twitter.com/seantyas
www.youtube.com/seantyasmusic
www.soundcloud.com/seantyas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More